Ahmedabad University was founded in 2009 by Ahmedabad Education Society (AES), a non-profit educational foundation located in Ahmedabad. Ahmedabad University is envisioned to become a global leader that provides liberal arts education within a research university. Interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning environment, and research define an Ahmedabad education. We are reimagining the classroom beyond the physical walls and focusing on the whole development of each student in an engaging and nurturing environment.
Being located in the centre of a vibrant and entrepreneurial city, our education is contextually rich and globally connected. Our world-class education attracts 3500 students from 22 states of India and seven countries.
Our PurposeAhmedabad University is dedicated to foster continuous progress of self and society. We are transforming higher education in India. Our graduates bear the capabilities, attitude and values to excel in whatever field they choose to pursue around the world.
- To prepare leaders of outstanding character who will contribute significantly to their fields of study and practice
- To build an evolving learning environment that is based on cross-disciplinary linkages between the arts, sciences, and professional disciplines, combined with rigour and reflection
- To actively advance research and intellectual enterprise at the University and in the society
- To promote independent mindedness and diversity across all dimensions of the University
- To generate knowledge that provides a context of learning from and contribution to India and the world
- To actively advance the social, economic, and ecological development of local, national, and international communities
- To educate young people of India and the world to become contextually-literate global citizens
- To catalyse students to mature into critical thinkers who are analytically equipped, practically oriented, and ethically driv
We recognise that social challenges and job opportunities are occurring at the intersection of various axes of influence, defined by disciplines (data, materials, biology, and behaviour), nature (air, water, forests, and land), sectors of impact (health, transport, energy, and education) and society (individual and community). Accordingly, Ahmedabad University strives to guide students on how to learn through interdisciplinary academics and real-life experiences that traverse these intersections. Research programmes at the University also embody this integrative philosophy.
Founders & History
Ahmedabad University was founded by Ahmedabad Education Society (AES). AES is a non-profit educational foundation located in Ahmedabad. More than 80 years old, AES was established at the behest of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister of India, by illustrious leaders such as Kasturbhai Lalbhai, the doyen of the Indian textile industry; Ganesh Mavalankar, the first Speaker of the Indian Parliament; and Amrutlal Hargovandas, one of the prominent industrialists of Ahmedabad. AES envisioned that the university would serve to advance education in the state of Gujarat, throughout India and the world. AES and its leaders have played significant roles in the founding of national institutions such as Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, National Institute of Design, Physical Research Laboratory, and Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT). The Foundation is also responsible for supporting reputed institutions such as MG College of Science, LD College of Arts, HL College of Commerce, LM College of Pharmacy, AG Teachers College and LD Institute of Indology, amongst others.
When the history of educational enabling is written in India, AES will be at the top for its amazing perspective and record of developing best-in-class institutions independently and with the government where land, funding and often management was provided by the leaders of AES.